I don’t know about you, but I certainly had a busy weekend. Not only was it my birthday (I’ll tell you more about that next week) but it was also time for the much-anticipated season finale of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
As I suggested in my last post, I thought it would be fun to make something of an occassion out of watching the final episode and so I decided on a “Champagne Breakfast in Bed”.
I prepared a tray of sliced strawberries and bananas, melted chocolate, jam, double cream and homemade lemonade scones.
My boyfriend and I then sat in bed to enjoy our repast while we watched the episode.
I was actually pretty pleased with the episode. I wasn’t sure if a two-part special prominently featuring two characters that had never appeared in the series before would actually work, but it turned out to be quite enjoyable. I was particularly impressed with the designs for the villains.
Our breakfast was suitable regal. I’m a big fan of lemonade scones. They’re so quick and easy to make and they have that perfect balance between moist and crumbly that I think all scones should strive for.
If you want to try making them yourself, here’s my recipe:
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1 cup fizzy lemonade
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- Jam and double cream to serve!
- Preheat oven to 230°C.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Scrape the mixture onto a floured surface and knead.
- Shape the dough to about 1″ thick.
- Use a round cutter or upturned glass to cut out the scones.
- Pleace on a greased or lined tray and brush tops with milk.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the tops of the scones are lightly browned.
It’s as easy as that!
What foods do you like to cook up when you feel like something decadent?